On 02/12/2013 09:43 PM, Duncan wrote:
> Christopher Head posted on Tue, 12 Feb 2013 11:39:57 -0800 as excerpted:
>
>> On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 14:49:03 -0800 Alec Warner <anta...@gentoo.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Most external firmware is not needed to boot. If you need it to boot,
>>> you will have to stow it in the initramfs.
or the kernel itself ...

>> For those of us who prefer monolithic kernels, virtually all firmware is
>> needed to boot. Even if a network interface doesn't need to be
>> operational for boot, the kernel insists that the firmware be available
>> right at boot or else it will fail and the interface will never appear.
>
> I'm a monolithic kernel guy myself, and I simply build-in the firmware I
> need (three radeon firmware files, IIRC, used to be tg3 as well until
> that mobo died).
dito.

> And FWIW, I didn't really know about linux-firmware either, but google
> knew when I asked it about the files the kernel errors spit out. =:^)
> And I didn't actually install it, either.  I simply grabbed the tarball
> and extracted the files I needed, placing them where the kernel could
> find them.
from cross distro source etc.
I wonder how that linux-firmware serves it all will handle different
versions of one firmware-filename with disjunct sets of supported
hardware revisions.
Random files in /lib/firmware out of packet manager space it is (form me).

--
Michael Weber
Gentoo Developer