On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 8:14 AM, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina
<zeroch...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>> Kernel sources providing /lib/firmware itself shouldn't be a problem
>>> either, as that's just a dir, which many packages may own.  The
>>> individual firmware files would be a problem, but the USE=firmware
>>> RDEPEND solution should solve that.
>>
> What is everyone's opinion of adding a USE=firmware option to pull in
> PDEPEND="linux-firmware" in linux-2.eclass?

Not exactly an opinion, but a couple of notes:

1. Kernel's "make modules_install" triggers "make firmware_install",
which installs a strict subset of linux-firmware (for enabled modules
— e.g., "3com/typhoon.bin"). A way to work around that is to supply
INSTALL_FW_PATH=... to make.
2. CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y does not prevent installing
firmware by "make modules_install".
3. Trough all this firmware discussion, everyone is acting as if it's
obvious that linux-firmware was always preferred to individual
packages. This is not the case — some Gentoo developers didn't even
know about linux-firmware when creating individual packages, as is
evident from messages in discussion. I tried to figure which to use
some time ago, and came to conclusion that more often than not,
individual packages are preferable, because they are versioned/slotted
and go through a proper stabilization process (e.g., iwlwifi). Perhaps
that conclusion was incorrect, but the point is that information on
the subject was scarce, to say the least.

--
Maxim Kammerer
Liberté Linux: http://dee.su/liberte