On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Luca Barbato <lu_z...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 25/02/13 23:21, Rich Freeman wrote:
>> My point was just that:
>> 1.  No, the fact that entire packages fail to build/operate using
>> -ffast-math is not a valid bug.
>
> From your email the message was the opposite, maybe a not got lost?

I think that I must be cursed with some kind of cloud of
misunderstanding when I write or something.

This is what I'm saying:
If you run CFLAGS="-ffast-math" emerge <foo> then you get to keep the pieces.

If you run emerge foo, and the upstream build system happens to use
-ffast-math on a single module and it has been working for 10 years
and GCC 4.7 breaks it, then maybe there is something to it.  Certainly
I support that this is something that the gcc team and the package
maintainer should work out - just because upstream does it doesn't
mean that it is right.

> That means that if the upstream cflags do not work (anymore?) with
> certain compilers we should notify them. Seems sensible to do.

I don't think we're really disagreeing here...

Rich