On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 01:38:03PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote
> On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Markos Chandras <hwoar...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > In my mind, the message says "either remove 70-* and setup 80-*" or your
> > system will end up broken.
>
> The other bit is that modifying symlinks in /etc/init.d is only
> mentioned in passing.  That is a VERY important step unless your new
> name happens to be the same as your old one, otherwise on the next
> boot the system will not have a working network interface, which will
> hamper efforts to fix for casual/new users, and cause real trouble for
> those doing remote administration (though anybody doing anything
> serious on a remotely-administered box should have some kind of
> console-level access outside of the OS - like serial console or
> iLO/etc support).

  That's only the beginning for the necessary changes.  I'm running mdev
on this machine, so it won't affect me, but here goes...

[d531][root][~] grep -rl eth[0-9] /etc/*
/etc/conf.d/net
/etc/conf.d/network
/etc/conf.d/netmount
/etc/dosemu/dosemu.conf
/etc/hibernate/common.conf
/etc/rc.conf

  I've eliminated some specific stuff that only I do.

* /etc/conf.d/net  Is going to have to be modified by users.

* I believe /etc/conf.d/network is a doc file for /etc/conf.d/net.

* /etc/conf.d/netmount  Who changes that?

* /etc/dosemu/dosemu.conf  It's an app, but may require changes.

* /etc/hibernate/common.conf  It's an app, but may require changes.

* /etc/rc.conf  Is going to have to be modified by users.

  "Fun" for users, and app upstreams.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>