On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 18:51:06 +0200
Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Well, here we go again! Again an update of Gentoo stable where emerge
> tries to upgrade icu and KDE in one run (and this time additionally
> libreoffice).

If you don't want that to happen, use package sets and exclusion.

> Other essential libraries (e.g. libpng) can always be updated,
> because the ebuild preserves the old shared libs and let me run
> revdep-rebuild against the old ones afterwards.

I haven't ran revdep-rebuild for a year, you can set
FEATURES="preserve-libs" which will preserve any libs, once libs are
being preserved you can then get rid of them by doing an `emerge
@preserved-rebuild` whenever you feel like as opposed to when
something breaks. It's not a default yet, but will probably be so...

> The ebuild happily removes any trace of the old shared libs with the
> result that half of the stuff that is *required* to build kdelibs is
> now broken. The build aborts and leaves behind a broken system. And
> this happened now not for the first time!

Packages such as kdelibs are huge for no good reason, either look for
lighter alternatives or don't upgrade them often if they bother you.

> The lengthly procedure is now to hard mask the new icu version,
> update your system (incl. automatic icu downgrade, kde and
> libreoffice upgrade)

Why? You shouldn't need to do the downgrade here.

> Drop the mask and upgrade anything again, run
> revdep-rebuild and compile again a lot of big KDE packages (and this
> time inclding libreoffice).

This is why I avoid huge packages where I can.

> The most annoying fact is, that none of this would have been
> necessary with portage 2.2, but maybe we have to wait for 2.1.11.500
> before 2.2 gets stable...

Features and fixes are backported, don't wait for that stabilization.

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D