On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Fabio Erculiani <lx...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Not all the Gentoo users are as skilled as you (a developer). Having a
> programmatic, bootloader agnostic way to swap /sbin/init is useful for
> the reasons I explained. Yet I haven't read any solid reason not to do
> that.

Well, there is no reason that an eselect module couldn't edit the boot
configuration, but not with the current way that everybody generates
them manually anyway.

Keep in mind that any Gentoo user who can't edit a boot loader
configuration is limited to booting from LiveCDs.  The bootloader is
installed and configured manually in Gentoo, following the handbook.

Running openrc and systemd in parallel under grub legacy (the config
anybody without more exotic requirements and knowledge uses) is just a
matter of duplicating a few lines of the config file, renaming the
menu item name, and setting init= on one of them.  Now you can boot
into either from the boot menu.

As I mentioned before on this list I'm all for having some packages
that actually install a working default kernel, initramfs, boot
config, etc.  They might even be part of a profile, so that if a user
eselects that profile at install-time and does an emerge -uDN world
they can then just type reboot when it finishes and get a working
system.  However, none of that exists now.  If it did exist, then
manipulating those standardized files via eselect would be quite
possible as well (most likely the boot config would be built from some
kind of conf.d directory with a script that updates it when needed,
and eselect and other packages coudl dump stuff in that conf.d
directory as needed just as we do with env.d and so on).  I should
probably take a few minutes to learn how all this was implemented in
Sabayon as it is likely a solved problem.  Of course, the handbook
would just list this as another option and gentoo-sources and such
would never go away.

Rich