On 05/15/2013 08:41 AM, Fabio Erculiani wrote:
> Are we realizing that in order to keep systemd out of our way, we're
> currently writing and maintaining drop-in replacements for the
> features that systemd is already providing in an actively maintained
> state? openrc-settingsd was the first thing that we as Gentoo
> developers (Pacho?) had to write in order to merge GNOME 3.6 into our
> tree.
>
> And now that GNOME 3.8 is out, the game starts over again: logind is a
> hard requirement, logind is part of systemd, starting logind (which
> replaces consolekit) is not that trivial as you may think (and is the
> thing I started to work on anyway).
>
> And if this wasn't enough, it means that if you want GNOME 3.8, you
> need to get logind, which may or not may get included in our udev
> ebuild and if it won't, it means that you will be forced to use
> systemd as device manager if you want GNOME 3.8, which is believe it
> or not, the thing that Ubuntu did.
>
> The problem will only increase in size as the clock moves.
>
> And (and!) how does all this fit together with eudev? If the idea is
> to either put logind in udev (thus, not creating a separate logind
> ebuild), it means that eudev is already a dead end for GNOME users,
> unless the eudev team is going to provide logind as well.
>
> I don't want to start a flamewar here, I was the one who called
> Lennart software lennartware, but science is science, and a reality
> check had to be done: at some near point in the future, our users will
> be forced to replace udev/eudev with systemd. Like it. Or not.
>
> While I successfully use both openrc and systemd, I _do_ think that
> (and expect to see) more and more users (and developers) will be
> switching to systemd.
> Is there anything we can do? Besides "being prepared", I don't think so.
> Do we control upstreams? No, sorry.
>
> So what do we want to do then? Isolate from the rest of the world?
> (It's not a sarcastic question). I hope that everybody does their own
> reality check.

The solution is to pressure upstreams not to depend on a specific init
system in order to function. How many pieces of software depend on SysV,
runit, openrc, or upstart? The only ones I can think of are the pieces
that are designed specifically for making those init systems easier to
administer, not user-facing software like desktop environments.

I sincerely believe that each user and distro reserves the right to
choose which software to boot the system with, and desktop environments
and other user-facing software should not care about which init system
it's running on. In the case of GNOME, I think they're going too far by
depending on these things. GNOME devs haven't cared much for user
integration with systemd. They're free to, but we're free to not use it,
too.

Personally, I will not have systemd on my box(es). I don't agree with
its motives, its methods, or its design. I will not use software that
depends on it. If the situation gets bad enough, then I may be forced to
switch to another OS... that bothers me, to a degree, but as long as
it's on my hardware, I have a say.

It would not bother me if distros ostracized Lennart and his projects
from the free software world, as he approaches free software with a
toxic attitude. We wouldn't miss much IMO.

As for Gentoo itself, I'm happy as long as choice remains the governing
principle.