On 22/05/13 11:14 AM, Michael Mol wrote:
> On 05/22/2013 11:00 AM, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 May 2013 08:53:06 -0400 Ian Stakenvicius
>> <a...@gentoo.org> wrote:

>>> So why don't we add something to package metadata, to indicate
>>> that a package is OK to be considered for auto-stabilization?
>> Package or ebuild or SLOT or what? Please explain what these
>> metadata.xml entries should look like. Also, since we're working
>> per ebuild, and not per package, why couldn't we include this in
>> each individual ebuild? What happens when you've set the
>> variable, tag or whatever, and then an obscure bug pops up (and
>> you're not CC'd because the bug appears in a dependent package
>> three branches removed) and then your robo-call comes in for that
>> ebuild?
>>
>> It's a neat idea, but the red tape would stretch to Alpha
>> Centauri and back. IOW, it's hardly maintainable unless you can
>> afford the espresso machine and all of your spare time. Common
>> sense and proper research usually cuts that short. Automating
>> CC'ing arch teams would probably only catch this in a very late
>> stage, if at all in time before an ebuild is deemed "stable".
>>

>> jer
>>

> My expectation is that something in metadata.xml would operate
> *per-package* to allow the maintainer of that package to say "hey,
> let me do my own thing here." Trying to set those values per-ebuild
> sounds like a bug farm as those values are accidentally set wrong
> from time to time. Then you try writing something to automate the
> maintainer side of things, and you've got more lines of
> (theoretically possibly buggy) code to worry about.
>
> "let me do my own thing here" would start off as "don't touch my
> packages". Trying to plan more granularity than that at the outset
> seems a lot like trying to tell the future.

I agree - the metadata addition I would propose would be for
metadata.xml, and would be per-package.  It would also be specifically
for the auto-stablereq script(s) (or for people, if this changes in
the future to something a team works on) to read.

Handling individual package versions -could- be done via metadata.xml,
but that would ..well, jer described what that'd be like. :)  Plus
metadata.xml probably shouldn't change with every version bump.  I
think it'd be best to just handle individual package versions by
opening a bug (as then the stabilizer script would just skip that $PV
anyhow).

All in all, this isn't much different from the idea i mentioned a
while ago, about dev's putting in an "others feel free to touch my
stuffs" / "touch these ebuilds and i kill your first born" entry in
metadata.xml -- it's just stabilization specific.