Ulrich Mueller posted on Tue, 30 Jul 2013 14:57:52 +0200 as excerpted:

>> On 30/07/13 14:12, Alex Legler wrote:
>>> 'disk space' is a perfectly valid term even if you have fancy solid
>>> state drives these days. It is an established term in technical
>>> documentation that everyone understands even if you don't physically
>>> use a 'disk'.
>
> +1
>
>> It's *wrong*. In school we were even taught to avoid it. :-)
>
> It can hardly be more wrong than "drive". A solid state device doesn't
> contain any mechanical components like motors that would drive it.

Additionally, "Drivespace" aka "DRVSPACE.EXE" was an MS whole-partition
data-compression product at one point (tho I believe they purchased it
rather than developing it "in-house"), superseding "Doublespace".  For
people familiar with that, "drive space" has unwanted and possibly
trademarked associations.

OTOH, the "free space" or "space available" suggestions I saw elsewhere
do make a lot of sense and avoid both the "disc" and "mechanical drive"
implications.