On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 5:57 PM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
<chith...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Alon Bar-Lev schrieb:
>>> I think there may be a misunderstanding here. He only said that if you
>>> want to run Gnome 3.8, then switch to systemd. Because the Gnome team
>>> will not support any other configuration.
>>>
>>> He did not say that everyone should install systemd, nor that you need
>>> to support such a configuration.
>> So users will have gnome working but not any other component? How can
>> this a good service for  users?
>
> I am not sure what you mean by that. But every developer is free to
> commit and support in Gentoo whatever package he wishes to, within
> limitations set by policy.
> And when a package is 30 days in tree and there is no objection from QA
> or security teams then it can go stable.

This is so narrow interpretation of the policy.
You talk about a process, and user do not care about the process.
30 days? and what if a user has an issue 31 days after?
And what if QA decides that now systemd must be supported? so we delay
stabilization?

People here tend to forget that Gentoo is not just ebuilds, but also
an organization which requires a policy for the sake of its *USERS*.

Regards,
Alon