On 08/14/2013 11:44 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 23:41:56 +0800
> Patrick Lauer <patr...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>
>>> No, we can't. Sets are portage-specific, the tree needs to follow
>>> PMS.
>>
>> So fix PMS to reflect reality. Again.
>
> I think you're misunderstanding the point of a standard here.

Well, it should reflect reality.

PMS is still broken as much as it does not reflect the state of portage
before PMS was written, and we've had to patch it up a few times to make
it coherent, plus it is still lacking half the things that would make it
useful as a standard.

Your academic interpretation of standard as a platonic ideal
disconnected from reality serves no purpose.