On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 22:03:38 +0200
Tom Wijsman <tom...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > Using the conventional view of what a "set" is,
>
> But what kind of view would that be, a mathematical set, a set from a
> prior discussion or a completely different set? I assume the first
> one.

The rather outdated GLEP 21 says they're "a mere groups of packages,
grouped together to allow easier updating and handling of them".

I would use the term "spec" rather than "package" there for consistency
with PMS, since "package" implies you can't specify slots or version
restrictions. This is bad, because a "KDE 7" set is a useful idea. So
using more modern terminology:

"A set is a collection of dependency specifications, grouped together
and given a name for convenience".

--
Ciaran McCreesh