On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 10:27:51 -0400
Ian Stakenvicius <a...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 21/08/13 08:36 AM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
> >
> > Given the kernel volume, I think even CVE's don't cover
> > everything...
> >

> Kernel is really a special case here, imo -- emerge doesn't install
> kernels, it just provides their sources.  End-users still need to
> build the kernel to use them and I expect there are plenty that don't,
> at least, not as soon as the sources are installed.  And really,
> portage is just providing kernel sources for convenience; anybody can
> download a kernel by hand, extract it to /usr/src, and build it with
> no ill effect on portage or the rest of their system.

That doesn't make it a special case here, imo; especially not, since
we are designing and implementing ebuilds that _build_ the kernel.
Whether it provides the sources, or build it; what does that matter?

We're talking here in terms of Gentoo QA and Stability; so, other
people building the kernel on their own (which you could do with most
packages in the tree, just install it to /usr/local or something), has
nothing at all to do with this entire thread.

I don't understand what you try to say with that paragraph.

> That's not to say that gentoo-sources shouldn't follow the regular
> overall stabilization policies, but focusing on the kernel as the
> impetus for adjusting the stabilization policy or pointing out what's
> wrong with the policy as a whole seems to be a bad use-case for this
> discussion.

It's a good example to demonstrate bit rot due to lack of manpower,
that's it sole intention; don't assume it as an example for change of
policies, that's not what's being shown here. And for a change in
policies proper statistics would be the least a person should base on.

The sub thread, to clarify some matters, is indeed long enough as it is;
and at some point we should have probably switched to gentoo-kernel ML.

- --
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D