On 22 August 2013 01:19, Matt Turner <matts...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 8:50 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoar...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> Is there an alternative? afaik a profile can be either stable,dev or
>> exp. I can't see how we can implement something between
>> stable and dev. And what would that represent? It may or may not be
>> stable? If this is the case, then I believe ~arch is more preferred.
>
> I haven't read much into it, but Fedora has a concept of "Secondary
> Architectures." I think it would make sense if we could keep stable
> keywords for them, but not prevent maintainers from needing to wait on
> them to stabilize other packages.

I don't see how that would work. You can't remove older versions
unless a newer one is stabilized, or you'd break the tree.

One option I see is to limit the amount of packages with stable
keywords to a select list, e.g. @system and closely related packages,
and refuse stable keywords for GUI toolkits and their desktop reverse
dependencies and the like.

Ago is doing a fantastic job, but it would be good to lower his
work-load and reduce the bus factor problem.

--
Cheers,

Ben | yngwin
Gentoo developer