On 09/07/2013 05:11 PM, Ryan Hill wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 18:10:42 +0000 (UTC)
> Martin Vaeth <va...@mathematik.uni-wuerzburg.de> wrote:
>
>> Ryan Hill <dirtye...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> * -fstack-protector{-all}
>>> No thank you.  -fstack-protector has very limited coverage
>>
>> I'd say it covers most cases where bugs can be made,
>> practically without a severe impact on execution time or code size.
>
> The numbers I've seen show a maximum of 5% coverage for code that has a large
> number of functions containing char arrays on the stack.  Most code doesn't
> fall
> into that category.  Coverage of perl was 0.5%, xorg 5%, kernel 3%.  Those are
> really old numbers though.  The most recent I've seen is Chromium's coverage
> is
> <2%.  There is an upper bound of 8% performance overhead using
> -fstack-protector
> according to the design spec.  If you guys are okay with that then we can try
> enabling it for 4.8.1.

Personally I think this would be a great stepping stone.  If we add
- -fstack-protector to 4.8.1 it will improve security (only a little I
know) and give us an idea of what issues we may have.  After a short
enjoyment of fixing any issues which come up we could more to
- -fstack-protector-strong in 4.9.

Personally I'm using the hardened profile already and find the
performance penalties negligible for a desktop user, and someone trying
to run realtime on defaults is likely suicidal anyway.

Thanks,
Zero