On 09/21/2013 11:42 AM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
> GRUB2 will be stabilized soon (bug 455544). Here's a draft of a
> news item to hopefully prevent any confusion. Please review.

The "FAQ / Known Problems / Gotchas" section of the guide is still
empty. Maybe fill this in before pushing this stable?

My contribution:

About half of our servers failed at the install phase with the error
(copy/pasted from Google, might not be exact),

  /usr/sbin/grub2-install: warn: Your embedding area is unusually
  small. core.img won't fit in it.

  /usr/sbin/grub2-install: warn: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can
  only be installed in this setup by using blocklists. However,
  blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged.

  /usr/sbin/grub2-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists.

To paraphrase, "there ain't enough space before your first partition."

Generally this means that you are screwed, and that you'll need to
boot something like the gparted liveCD and resize all of your
partitions. It would be nice to list some options on the page.

If the user is lucky (thankfully, I was), his swap partition is the
first partition on the disk. In that case, he can simply `swapoff` the
thing, mangle it with fdisk, and then `mkswap foo` && `swapon foo`.

The fdisk commands were,

  1. 'x' - extra functionality (experts only)

  2. 'b' - move beginning of data in a partition

  3. '1' - Choose the first partition

  4. '4096' - New beginning of data (1-8000369, default 63)

Something smaller might work, but 4096 definitely does. Better play it
safe in case grub3 wants to play HD video.

For what it's worth, the following wiki pages both provided useful
information (at the time, the g.o page didn't exist):

  * https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Quick_Start

  * https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2