On 10/14/2013 10:46 AM, Richard Yao wrote:
> My main concern is that some of the configure flags being proposed could
> make packages that worked on Gentoo FreeBSD stop working there. I am not
> making changes, but I think that there should be some benefit and that
> care should be taken not to break things for everyone else.
>
> That being said, mgorny said that this adds support for mount
> namespaces, but I have yet to hear an explanation of what that actually
> means. What are the use cases?

Someone brought to my attention that there was a slight error in the
above message. I had meant to write "I am not against making changes..."
rather than "I am not making changes...".

In hindsight, the statement that "I am not making changes" was a more
profound statement than the one that I meant to write because it can be
interpreted in any of two ways:

1. It could be interpreted as meaning that I intend to oppose proposed
changes when they have no benefit and I have the ability to oppose them.
2. It could be interpreted as meaning that I am not one of the people
who make decisions for the packages involved. Consequently, my opinion
here only matters to the extent that those who make decisions are
willing to consider it.

Both of which are correct. That being said, I am not against making
changes, but given that this is on the list, I would like to someone to
provide a technical justification. Some key questions that justification
should answer are "what capability does this provide to sysytemd that
cannot be obtained without this change? and "what does that do for
users"? So far, the only thing that I have read is "systemd wants it",
which answers neither question.