On 03/11/2013 12:53, Michał Górny wrote:
> Dnia 2013-11-03, o godz. 10:53:13
> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> napisał(a):
>
>> One set of questions that were never answered and probably do deserve
>> some kind of notification:
>
> I can help you with these. However, I don't know on how much of it
> a random user cares.
>
>> 1. What exactly is python-exec anyway?
>
> It's the wrapper script that chooses the proper version of Python
> scripts for the currently selected Python version. Say, when you
> install 'foomatic' for p2.6, 2.7, 3.2 and 3.3, /usr/bin/foomatic is
> linked to python-exec and it determines which one to run.
>
>> 2. Why are there two, in dev-python/ and dev-lang/ ?
>
> The intent is that the one in dev-python/ was not slotted and the one
> in dev-lang/ is. This seems like the only sane way to support both
> slots without rewriting all the existing deps (which doesn't seem to
> work) or risking breaking the system.
>
>> 3. One has a version of -10000, which is *highly* unusual, what is that
>> exactly? 1 more than -9999?
>
> It is a plain virtual/compat/meta-package. It is a meaningless version
> that is supposed to be larger than anything that was earlier in
> dev-python/python-exec and it only pulls in dev-lang/python-exec.
>
>> 4. There is some kind of migration going on between an old and new
>> python-exec, but I can't understand it using only standard portage tools.
>
> Yes. The goal is that everything will dep on dev-lang/python-exec:=.
> However, we need to somehow keep things that deped on
> dev-python/python-exec in the past working.

I didn't make completely clear that the questions were mostly rhetorical
- I since figured out the answers for myself (I'm used to cat'ing
ebuilds almost routinely to find stuff out). But thanks for taking the
time to answer, I'll probably repost to gentoo-user and that will no
doubt help many more people.

It makes a good example - we both made what I believe is the same
mistake. I underestimated that you would understand what I was actually
asking, and the python team underestimated how much information to
convey ahead of time.

I do appreciate hugely all the effort Gentoo devs put into the project
so this isn't a criticism at all, it's more data points of experience
put out there to help devs make judgement calls for the future.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com