El vie, 15-11-2013 a las 23:39 +0100, Michał Górny escribió:
> Dnia 2013-11-15, o godz. 14:53:00
> Ben de Groot <yng...@gentoo.org> napisał(a):
>
> > As I see it now, with respect to multilib, we have three competing
> > solutions, but not a clear direction which way we want to go as a
> > distro:
> >
> > 1: emul-* packages

This is the current option but has important drawbacks:
- Each emul set contains a ton of packages, then, when a security issue
arises in one of them, we need to release a new emul-linux-x86-...
- It's built from stable tree, it can then cause inconsistencies when
people run native lib from testing (I remember pulseaudio case)
- If we would like to really follow stabilized packages, we would nearly
need to generate a new set every week because likely some of the
contained packages will be stabilized on x86 so often.
- As they are a big set of packages, people need to install a lot of
stuff they don't really need

In summary -> they are completely unflexible, with the problems it cause

> > 2: multilib-portage

I think this has been discussed multiple times, if I don't misremember,
PMS team is not willing to accept it until the specification is done...
and we are waiting for that for years probably because it includes a lot
of changes (well, Tommy will know much more about this)

> > 3: multilib.eclass

This is my preferred solution