On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 09:14:43PM +0100, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> > Comments:
> > ---------
> > In bug #4411, comment 43, vapier noted:
> > > any package that does dlopen("libfoo.so") without the version info like
> > > ".so.X" is broken.
> > In this case, the lt_dlopenext consumer is explicitly testing multiple
> > versions of libusb at runtime, and picking the correct interface:
> > it doesn't need to depend on a specific version.
> vapier is still correct and the consumer is indeed broken, it does
> too need to specify the .so version in the dlopen() call, at least
> in the case of libusb.
> > This is also because the lt_dlopenext interface does NOT accepted
> > files versioned after the .so: it needs the filename with no extensions.
> Hm, that seems limited?
It's NOT calling dlopen directly. It's calling the lt_dlopenext
interface from libtool. That iterates over the possible combinations
that end with ".so", and never iterates over the numbered suffixes.

lt_dlforeachfile actully complicates it even more, but also doesn't see
the numbered suffixes.

So should you're saying that we need to change libtool's code now?

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux: Developer, Infrastructure Lead