On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 18:05:21 +0000
Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccre...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 16:46:08 +0100
> Tom Wijsman <tom...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > Rebuilds don't cause a different solution in the graph afaik; so, I
> > wouldn't see how that would form a big problem. I also think this
> > would still be covered by preserved-rebuild and/or revdep-rebuild
> > afterwards.
>
> There used to be a "feature" whereby if resolution took too long,
> you'd get an incomplete answer. The second time you ran the
> resolution, the time could differ, so you'd get a different
> incomplete answer. Dunno if this has been fixed yet.

We should document what Portage does; but from the word 'backtrack' I
think it tries with what it is given, and if it doesn't succeed it goes
one step back and tries to do it with more. But how exactly that is
implemented, I think only people like Zac and Arfrever can tell us; or
we read through the relevant code ourselves.

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D