On Mon, 2014-01-27 at 09:52 -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 2:41 AM, Steev Klimaszewski <st...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > It's not necessarily the STABLEREQs stopping, some of the issues are (at
> > least on some arches!) that some of the unstable software doesn't quite
> > work properly anymore, and we are failing at communicating.  And in
> > those cases, we on the arch teams should definitely be pointing this
> > out, and filing bugs so that the issues can be sorted.
>
> Well, if the package or some version of it doesn't work at all, you
> can always mask it on the arch or drop keywords.  The arch team
> doesn't need permission to do this stuff - the keywords and profiles
> really "belong" to the arch team, and we just allow maintainers to do
> their best job with them to make the job of the arch team easier.

Right, but, afaik, an "unstable" ebuild can go away at any point in
time, and then we'd be back in this same place - newer ebuilds are
around, older working ones are gone...

> Obviously if you actually want the problem fixed that requires
> bugs/etc.  But you don't need a bug to drop a keyword and at least
> make it clear that the package doesn't work.

Right, and this goes as a point towards splitting out the arm keywords,
and maybe I'll bring it up at the next ARM team meeting... I don't think
it would get much traction, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to at least
throw it out there and see what sticks.