On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 10:07:22 -0600
Steev Klimaszewski <st...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Against my better judgment...
>
> On Wed, 2014-02-05 at 05:55 +0100, Tom Wijsman wrote:
> > On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 21:15:47 -0600
> > Steev Klimaszewski <st...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> > > You know what - this is pure and utter bullshit.
> >
> > Why is this pure and utter bullshit?
>
> Because I'm attempting to have a discussion with a brick wall.

Can you please keep yourself to responses about the subject as well as
give reasoning for them?  That way, we can make the discussion feel
less solid and more fluent; I'll have to ask again, why a brick wall?

> > > Keeping it around for "slower" arches does NOT block progress.
> >
> > Why is keeping it around for "slower" arches not blocking progress?
> >
> Let's see... having the software at least available, versus not having
> access to it at all... which one is progress...  THINK TOM THINK.

Yes, making the newest versions never available because the old
versions sink all your time really stops progress to a dead halt.

> > > I have intimate knowledge with what ACTUALLY happens when people
> > > pull this bullshit - and that is a system that I can no longer
> > > actually work on.
> >
> > That is also what happens when a maintainer keeps around old
> > versions, as well as old bugs and support for those old versions;
> > as by doing so, the attention towards newer versions is lost which
> > causes much huger breakage than the one you have just brought up.
> > Manpower is limited.
> >

> And we attempted to come up with a solution for this, however due to
> the wording of a page on the interwebs that solution is 100%
> unacceptable *to you*, a person who is unaffected by it.

The last discussion has shown policy breach by bending words around.

Can you tell why it is acceptable in a way that doesn't breach policy?

> > > And instead of working towards a fix that actually works
> > > for people who are ACTUALLY affected by the shitty policy, you
> > > hide behind definitions and pedantry.
> >
> > Why do you think this about the current and/or suggested
> > solution(s)?
> >
> > > I'm now going to take a break from Gentoo development because this
> > > thread has seriously caused my blood to boil based on comments
> > > from the peanut gallery (you) where things don't actually affect
> > > your day to day work, but your actions do affect mine.
> >
> > Why? How and why are your actions affected by the QA team's actions?
> >
> Not the QA team's actions.  YOURS. YOUR actions and responses in this
> thread.  And the fact that the QA team allows you to continue to be on
> it, despite your obvious lack of interest in ACTUALLY having quality
> assurance. My actions are affected by it because I have to continue
> to attempt to discuss the issue with others who actually give a shit,
> and you just swoop in and say no, that absolutely is unacceptable as
> a solution

The policy is made by the QA team; you are attempting to object to the
policy, therefore this is the QA team's action. This is their action.

It is rather that I ask question to clarify what you are trying to say
as to get more useful and meaningful responses; but what I receive in
return is "pure and utter bullshit" on a "brick wall", maybe someone
else would say "no" here but if you take a closer look this as well as
the previous mail contains multiple questions for you.

These questions show interest in assuring quality here; it's actually
what makes up for a defensive style of discussion, making sure that we
keep our quality as opposed to applying the first interesting solution
that we come across. If you deem the QA team's policy doesn't do that,
and that it has a detriment in quality; can you please let us know why?

> (even though it doesn't affect me!) because this page here says that
> it can't
> - we can change that definition if you'd like.  Instead of the line
> saying:
>
> The -* keyword is special. It is used to indicate package versions
> which are not worth trying to test on unlisted archs.
>
> Would changing it to read
>
> The -* keyword is special. It is used to indicate package versions
> which are not for use on unlisted archs.
>
> Would that make it acceptable?

Feel free to propose that to the QA team and / or the Gentoo Council.

For this change, some questions come to mind:

- How do we then identify it is not worth trying to test?

- What does "not for use" really mean compared to a package.mask or
  leaving the keywords out?

- How is it different from KEYWORDS="x" instead of KEYWORDS="-* x"?

- Which work do we need to do in the Portage tree to reflect this?

We need to ensure here that we keep our existing workflow working.

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D