On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 02:16:20 +0000 (UTC)
Duncan <1i5t5.dun...@cox.net> wrote:

> OT: I've often wondered if emerge --config is actually intended to hide
> mostly one-shot configs, or if that's purely unintended accident.  It
> seems to me that if it's the latter, portage needs some standard method
> to make such --config options more visible.  Perhaps an
> emerge --config-list option or some such, to list every installed package
> that has an emerge --config option would be a good start.  Perhaps there
> already is such a thing, but it's so obscure I've never heard of it, even
> after a decade as a "relatively advanced" gentoo user.
>
> ---
> [1] Consider bind.  An admin runs emerge --config bind once to set it up,
> and then don't run it again unless he or the ebuild decides to massively
> change the chroot layout or something.  Routine administration is
> accomplished by more routine methods, editing the config file(s), etc.

Well, I don't know the history nor why it is the way it is...

But I would think the "emerge --config whatever" might be better done as
an emaint module.  Especially for the original topic, since it is a
user initiated maintenance item.  Provided of course that it is
determined to be done by portage code in the first place.  As for the
existing --config whatevers, the emaint module could probably be
extended to add a list function.

--
Brian Dolbec <dolsen>