On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 7:30 PM, William Hubbs <willi...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> All,
>
> for bug 373219 [1], we are working on providing a functions.sh that does
> not rely on OpenRc so that people who are not using OpenRc can
> completely remove it from their systems.
>
> I can now report that gentoo-functions has been added to the tree. Also,
> I have opened a tracker [2] that explains how to change packages that
> source /etc/init.d/functions.sh. They should first check for the
> existence of /lib/gentoo/functions.sh and source that. If it doesn't
> exist, they should source /etc/init.d/functions.sh. Also, do not add
> hard dependencies to your packages on gentoo-functions. The goal is to
> add gentoo-functions to @system once it is stable.

After reading some posts further in this thread, and discussing on IRC
with William, I decided to do the following with
app-admin/python-updater-0.12:

1. Changed . /etc/init.d/functions.sh to . /lib/gentoo/functions.sh.
This way I don't need to worry about testing against two different
implementations.

2. Added a hard dependency on sys-apps/gentoo-functions. Being
explicit about dependencies is better than leaving it up to the
implicit @systemd dependency.

If someone has a really good argument for why I should instead
implement this as William originally described above, I am open to
changing my approach.