On Thu 27 Mar 2014 02:31:01 Alexandre Rostovtsev wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-03-27 at 02:07 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > An amd64 multilib system *is* expected to build x86
> > > binaries that would be hosted on itself. So i686-pc-linux-gnu-ar is
> > > expected to be not a part of any cross-compile toolchain, but a part of
> > > the native toolchain for the machine's secondary native ABI. Especially
> > > when i686-pc-linux-gnu-ar is in /usr/bin.
> >
> > sure, and it works just fine when you use the correct toolchain.  if the
> > user wants to build an ABI using their default toolchain, they can pass
> > the right ABI flag for it.
>
> They can't pass the right ABI flag because only the core parts of the
> toolchain have the concept of an ABI flag.
>
> Sure, binutils and gcc respect "-m32". But what about pkgconfig (and its
> clones pkgconf and pkgconfig-openbsd)? What about the *-config tools for
> various libraries? Are you going to patch all of them to respect "-m32"?

pkg-config does need fixing in some way.  we already know this.  it's why the
multilib eclasses currently set PKG_CONFIG_XXX vars -- preciously so the
correct ABI dir is utilized.  and this breaks when using some build systems
(like scons) where the env gets blown away (although we also know scons
sucks).

i don't care about the *-config scripts.  that's a dead concept long ago
proven to suck and anything still using it needs fixing.
-mike