On 2 April 2014 07:38, Patrick Lauer <patr...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 04/01/2014 01:13 PM, Ben de Groot wrote:
>> On 1 April 2014 06:16, Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>> Hello, all.
>>>
>>> The late multilib ppc issues made me re-check our stable masks on
>>> abi_x86_* flags and, honestly, I'm not sure if we're doing things
>>> the right way.
>>>
>>> That said, I have an alternate idea inspired by the ppc breakage.
>>>
>>> Your thoughts?
>>
>> In my opinion your multilib approach introduces an unnecessary degree
>> of complexity, which --as has been shown here again-- is prone to
>> breakage.
>
> And it removes any chance of writing ebuilds - I seriously have no idea
> how to fix those things now. They are multibuilds, not ebuilds.

This is part of the complexity I mentioned. I significantly raises
maintenance costs, and I'm not convinced of the benefit.

>> It would be best for our beloved distro to revert all the multilib
>> changes, and try a different approach, or leave this prone-to-breakage
>> implementation to an overlay for the few people who would actually
>> benefit from it.
>>
> As a temporary stage they are kinda okish, maybe ... but ...
>
> the whole transition strategy has been very very silly and should have
> been staged in an overlay. I'd even build-test them and file bugs - just
> don't do this salami tactic of one breakage a day.

I'm strongly considering reverting these changes in the packages I
maintain. I'm tired of having to deal time and again with multilib
breakage.

Either that, or someone else can take over primary maintainership.

--
Cheers,

Ben | yngwin
Gentoo developer