On 04/05/2014 07:13, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Joshua Kinard wrote:
>> I guess this is more of a question to be asked to the bluez developers
>> why they even allow the bluez configure script to make udev optional.
>
> Isn't the maintainer supposed to already know?

I would hope so.  The general consensus seems to be, though, that disabling
udev support is non-nonsensical and you lose a lot of bluez's functionality.
 If that is true, why does upstream allow it?  Is it because of some
extremely rare corner case, or is it not as bad as thought?

A look on Wikipedia notes that bluez was originally developed by Qualcomm,
so I'd suspect the optional udev functionality deals with embedded devices
like phones and such that don't need/support udev (i.e., Android).

Your guess is as good as mine.

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us.  And
our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic