On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 15:19:59 -0400
Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Tom Wijsman <tom...@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > A test of a package to determine whether it appears to be working
> > OK or whether it destructs your system isn't too much asked for; if
> > it works it can then be ~arch tested, if it breaks you have a bug #
> > for p.mask.
> >
> > If someone can't test it at all, why was it added in the first
> > place?
>
> So that it can be tested?  Maybe the maintainer doesn't have the
> ability to test the package (might require special hardware).  Maybe
> the maintainer doesn't have the time to test it right away, but wants
> to allow others to do so (especially if others show an interest).

That is an edge case; it's somewhat hard to maintain a package if you
can't test it, and there are occasions (eg. Amazon EC2 related
packages) where this is indeed needed. I don't see a need to introduce
that masked though; but again, it depends on how edgy it is...

> Sure, I can set up yet another overlay, which will be empty 99% of the
> time.  But, what is the harm in just using a mask?  I've yet to leave
> one sitting around for years (well, not for testing at least).

No problem with that if it is for a safe introduction, although I'm
not quite sure how much that really invites actual testing; however
it's not about that, everything that stays longer forms the problem.

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D