On 07/03/2014 03:00, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:

> On 07/03/2014 08:18 AM, Joshua Kinard wrote:
>> On 07/02/2014 13:54, Michał Górny wrote:
>>> Dnia 2014-07-02, o godz. 10:44:16
>> [snip]
>>>
>>> I don't feel like we ought to vote on something like this without
>>> understanding most of the current profiles. And I'm afraid there are
>>> only few people who have any idea about the current profile
>>> structure...
>>>

>> I am going to throw this out there and see what people think.  Maybe it's
>> insane, maybe it's not, maybe it's a mix of insane and not-insane.
>>
>> Years ago, before we had the current stacking profile design (we were
>> discussing the current design, actually), I kinda conjured up this "building
>> blocks" like approach for a profile design.
>
>> The idea being that, in /etc/make.conf (or wherever that file is now), you'd
>> define $PROFILE like this:
>>
>> linux-mips o32 uclibc server:
>> PROFILE="base:kernel/linux:arch/mips:subarch/mips-o32:libc/uclibc:roles/server:releases/13.0"
>
> What about making /etc/portage/make.profile a directory rather than a symlink,
> having /etc/portage/make.profile/parent to reference all the flavours?
>
> Tools that need to respect the /current/ profile should work without any
> change, and
> tools that need to respect the /available/ profiles (repoman) already do have
> a list
> of profiles to respect (profiles/profiles.desc).
>
> So the only missing thing would be the eselect profile module to manage
> entries of
> /etc/portage/make.profile/parent, maybe using
> /usr/portage/profiles/profiles.desc
> as the source for available flavours.
>
> my 2 cents
> /haubi/

That's the thing, make.profile technically *is* a directory -- a symlink to
one.  The original design of make.profile was to specify generic, base
settings for a given profile and keep that in the tree.  Things like default
CHOST, default ARCH, default <VARIABLE>, etc.  make.conf then overrides
in-tree settings with settings specific to your system.  So making
/etc/make.profile an actual directory disconnects it from the tree, which I
don't think will work very well for Portage, since it won't know what your
currently-chosen profile is.

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us.  And
our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic