On 8 July 2014 16:39, Duncan <1i5t5.dun...@cox.net> wrote:

> But from the sound of things, default backtrack=10, multilib, full
> @system set and default profile use, on spinning rust, is getting all but
> intolerable now. =:^(

I'm not sure I follow what scenario is happening to make it so slow.

4 minutes isn't great, but its far shy of 30 minutes.

I have only spinning rust, only 8G of ram, and I had firefox eating 100%
cpu(optimus--) while I did this, and I don't exactly have the fastest CPU (
frequent overheating problems trigger thermal throttling )

To suggest its a nightmare for all users seems a stretch given that. It
could be better, but everything can always be better.

time emerge --version
Portage 2.2.10 (default/linux/amd64/13.0, gcc-4.8.3, glibc-2.19-r1,
3.15.2-aufs x86_64)

real    0m4.072s
user    0m3.347s
sys    0m0.545s

find /var/db/pkg/ -name "DEPEND" | wc -l
1941

wc -l /var/lib/portage/world
339 /var/lib/portage/world

time  schedtool -D -n 20 -e ionice -c 3 emerge -uvtDN --pretend @world