On 08/26/2014 06:51, Michał Górny wrote:
> Hello, developers and users.
>
> I would like to champion the goal of bringing bash-completion-2.1-r1 to
> Gentoo. As far as I can see, nobody's been working on this since
> the first failed attempt has been reverted.
>
> Firstly, I would like to describe the differences between the old
> and the new system.
>

> The old system
> --------------
>
> compatdir = /etc/bash_completion.d
> oldcompdir = /usr/share/bash-completion
>
> 1. Completions and other completion-like files are installed
> in $oldcompdir.
>
> 2. On start, bash sources all files from $compatdir, explicitly
> enabling completions inside them.
>
> 3. 'eselect bashcomp' enables completions through linking files
> from $oldcompdir to $compatdir.
>

> What's wrong with the old system?
> ---------------------------------
>
> Well, the major issue with the old system is that for completion to
> work, it needs to loaded at start of bash. The more completions you
> enable, the more files bash needs to source and the more memory
> consumed.
>
> If you enable all completions by default, bash would need to load a lot
> of functions, most of them not even used during the session.
>

> The new system
> --------------
>
> completionsdir = /usr/share/bash-completion/completions

[snip]

I take it systems with /usr mounted separately won't be affected by this
change?  Do we need to retain the /etc/bash_completion.d compatdir in any form?

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us.  And
our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic