On Sat, 06 Sep 2014 09:03:13 -0400
"Anthony G. Basile" <bluen...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Note that, as with the Metadata Cache, these variable should be stored
> with all the conditionals evaluated.

Paludis doesn't do this (and historically, Portage didn't either). We
store USE etc. This is useful because it allows us to detect when
people have been mucking around with DEPEND and the like.

> A list of all files belonging to the package, along with a designation
> of the file type (regular, directory, symlink, pipe, etc), MD5SUM or
> other checksum, and mtime time.

Packages aren't allowed to install pipes.

> A list of all executable or shared objects for each package and the
> corresponding linking information, including full path to the object,
> its architecture and ABI, SONAME, RPATH and any NEEDED objects they
> link against, as reported by `readelf` on ELF systems, or similar
> tools for other executable formats. Currently this information is
> being cached by Portage in NEEDED.ELF.2, NEEDED.MACHO.3, NEEDED.XCOFF,
> NEEDED.PECOFF, etc.

This is utterly arbitrary, and introduces a dependency on particular
non-standard package whose behaviour we don't control. Not everything
is C and ELF, and we shouldn't be encouraging "solutions" that make
the assumption that they are...

You've also not discussed how this interacts with Portage's
package.provided misfeature.

Finally, you don't have any way of using this information, since you
don't have a way of knowing what packages are installed.

--
Ciaran McCreesh