Hi,

13.09.14 22:03, Peter Stuge написав(ла):
>> E.g. we in downstream have some patches, when upstream changes
>> related code (e.g. applying our patches), ebuild fails to build.
>
> I consider this a separate issue however. I would actually expect
> there to be a policy which forbids patches on live ebuilds. Make
> another live ebuild or maybe an overlay if you want to offer a
> different set of commits than the upstream repo.

In the ideal country of elves. In the real life it can be not possible to build
and install software in a given distribution without downstream patches. You
can find examples of such live ebuilds in Gentoo tree.

>> Everything in live ebuild can change, so it will fail.
>> It can be not crap, but some improvements, but it does not matter
>> for the possibility of building of a given ebuild.
>
> Patches aside I completely agree that a live ebuild is a moving
> target, but to me that is a good thing, in fact the very essence
> of open source.

Open source is not about instability. It is just about sources being available.
No more, no less. ;-)

Anyway, summarizing, it is completely impossible to be sure that live ebuild
will be buildable for you on a given arch in the next 15 min., even if it was
so in the last 15 min.

--
Jauhien