On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 6:56 PM, hasufell <hasuf...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> According to Robin, it's not about rebasing, it's about signing all
> commits so that messing with the blob (even if it has the same sha-1)
> will cause signature verification failure.

The only thing that gets signed is the commit message, and the only
thing that ties the commit message to the code is the sha1 of the
top-level tree.  If you can attack sha1 either at any tree level or at
the blob level you can defeat the signature.

That is way better than nothing though - I think it is worth pursuing
until somebody comes up with a way to upgrade git to more secure
hashes.  Most projects don't gpg sign their trees at all, including
linux.

--
Rich