On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 6:56 PM, Alex Xu <alex_y...@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> I feel like there should be a DEPEND specifier for "packages required to
> build against this package". For example, xproto is required to build
> against SDL (at least using pkg-config), but not to simply use it at
> runtime. This applies even if one does not directly use xproto headers.
>
> It would not be sufficient to specify that "DEPEND includes the DEPENDs
> and RDEPENDs of the dependencies", since then it would be impossible to
> specify build dependencies that only require the runtime of the
> dependee, like most build tools.

I thought that a package could only assume that the direct DEPENDs
were installed anyway.  Those DEPENDs could only assume that their
immediate RDEPENDs are installed when they're used to build something
else.

So, if the podofo-build virtual listed boost in its RDEPENDs that
would be fine.  However, it would seem simpler to me to just list
boost in the calibre DEPENDs.

I'm not really opposed to having a special reverse build DEPEND
variable of some kind, but does it really add that much value?

If I ever got around to building that portage sandbox extension that
blocked read access to anything that wasn't in DEPENDS, or RDEPENDs of
DEPENDs, and so on, or @system, then it would detect these kinds of
situations.

--
Rich