On Sat, 8 Nov 2014 16:30:04 -0500
Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> if you have the second dep installed

Unfortunately the notion of "installed" is where most of the mess with
|| dependencies comes from...

What about "not installed yet, but will be installed during this
resolution"?

What about "an earlier version is installed, and will be upgraded
during this resolution"?

What about "an earlier version is installed, and we weren't going to
upgrade it, but we could"?

What about "a version is installed, but with the wrong USE flags"?

What about "a version in a different SLOT is installed"?

What about "it's installed, and we want to upgrade it, but selecting
this would lock us to an old version"?

Paludis has a *massive* list of scoring rules for these sorts of things
to try to do "the right thing" most of the time. Unfortunately there
are situations in the tree with identically-expressed dependencies
where doing one thing is the "right" answer in one case, and the other
thing is the "right" answer in the other.

One small step towards sanity is to stop using ( ) and || ( ) when the
intent is to select a single package and give a choice of how it's
installed (even if it means new syntax). The second step is to abolish
pretty much every use of ||.

--
Ciaran McCreesh