On Sunday 18 January 2015 21:44:05 Michał Górny wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to commit the following flags as cpu_flags_x86_desc.
> The list combines global USE flags with some local USE flags I've been
> able to find.
>

> 3dnow - Use the 3DNow! instruction set
> 3dnowext - Use the Enhanced 3DNow! instruction set

Those are kinda mostly dead (no new CPUs have them anymore)

> aes-ni - Enable support for Intel's AES instruction set (aes in cpuinfo)
> avx - Adds support for Advanced Vector Extensions instructions
> avx2 - Adds support for Advanced Vector Extensions 2 instructions
> fma - Use the Fused Multiply Add instruction set

> mmx - Use the MMX instruction set
Not sure if this one needs to be specified - amd64 always has it, and on x86
your code should do cpu feature detection anyway

> mmxext - Use the Extended MMX instruction set (intersection of Enhanced
> 3DNow! and SSE instruction sets) (3dnowext or sse in cpuinfo) padlock - Use
> VIA padlock instructions
Kinda very dead, even more than 3dnow

> popcnt - Enable popcnt instruction support
Why?!

> sse - Use the SSE instruction set
Always exists on amd64, so this would be x86 special

> sse2 - Use the SSE2 instruction set
> sse3 - Use the SSE3 instruction set (pni in cpuinfo)
> sse4 - Enable SSE4 instruction support
> sse4_1 - Enable SSE4.1 instruction support
> sse4_2 - Enable SSE4.2 instruction support
> sse4a - Enable SSE4a instruction support
> ssse3 - Use the SSSE3 instruction set
Wow, such a wonderful mess :)

So half of those are obsolete/dead, and the other half you need to do proper
feature detection - why do we want that as useflags again?