Title: USE=libav introduction
Author: Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org>
Revision: 1
News-Item-Format: 1.0
Display-If-Installed: media-video/ffmpeg
Display-If-Installed: media-video/libav

The support for automatic choice between ffmpeg and libav is going to be
deprecated in favor of explicit choice via USE flags. This change aims
to solve multiple repeating issues, including Portage undesirably
wanting to replace one package with the other, subslot upgrade issues
and some of the hard-to-understand blocker issues.

The current USE=ffmpeg will maintain its role of enabling optional
support for ffmpeg or a compatible implementation (libav) in a package.
However, whenever appropriate additional USE=libav will be introduced to
control the preference of libav over ffmpeg.

Users who currently use libav (the Gentoo default) do not have to
perform any action since USE=libav is enabled by default. It should be
noted that those users will need to enable USE=ffmpeg on packages with
optional libav support as well. Users who want to use the ffmpeg fork
instead need to specify USE=-libav explicitly.

Please also note that some packages support only one of the two
implementations. An attempt to install one of those packages will result
in blockers unless the user changes the global USE=libav state. The most
notable example of such package is media-video/mplayer which relies on
deprecated APIs available only in ffmpeg. media-video/mplayer2 or
media-video/mpv may be used as a more modern replacement.