On 2/25/15 8:38 PM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
> I would like to remove the elog for a couple of reasons:
>
> 1. The use flag description is there for whoever cares to read it.
> There is no need to alert the user every time.
> 2. We are not lawyers, and I have no business giving legal advice
> about patent law which varies from country to country.
>
> To take it one step further: I think it would make more sense to call
> the flag "h264" or something similar. We could then set
> RESTRICT="h264? ( bindist )" if we want to give some indication that
> it is not appropriate for binary redistribution.

Makes sense.

My suggestion for the flag name would actually be proprietary-codecs.
This matches config option name in Chromium sources, and it's not just
h264 but also e.g. MPEG-4 and MP3.

The flag would be disabled by default.

I'd then add RESTRICT="proprietary-codecs? ( bindist )" to the ebuild
and remove both elog messages.

Paweł