On Fri, Mar 06, 2015 at 06:55:13AM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
> Out of curiousity, what makes the changes necessary in the first
> place?  It seems like an incredible amount of effort is going into
> standardizing the format of textual summary lines and perhaps the
> simplest solution is to just not standardize them at all.

It doesn't hurt to have a recommendation, and personally I really appreciate
when people (yes, that includes developers and wranglers ;-) update the line
to be more informative. There already is a recommendation on the wiki, part
of the Bug Wranglers project [1].

[1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Bug-wranglers

The difference between the segregation character (be it ': ', ' - ', ' : '
or what not) is for me less of a concern than the fact that it starts with
the category/package name+version (and with "<" in front if it has been
fixed with that version or higher). That is a real plus as I can easily see
how many fixes are in to a package, which ones to mark as FIXED when
stabilizing (I tend to use TEST-REQUEST as long as the package is still in
~arch), etc.

There are other resources on the wiki as well which might best be aligned
with whatever recommendation is used. See "Beautiful bug reports" [2] and
"Bugzilla HOWTO" [3] as examples.

[2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Beautiful_bug_reports
[3] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Bugzilla_HOWTO

Wkr,