On 14.03.2015 23:25, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> Trying to explain to a new user that the Portage tree refers to the
> collection of ebuilds used by a PMS-compliant package manager (eg
> Portage) is problematic.

Full ack.  Let's limit "portage" to the piece of software, please.

> Questions: 0. What names for the tree/repository.

It's not a tree.  Ideally, it would be a directed acyclic graph (DAG),
there maybe be some loops, even.

I would therefore object to any name that has "tree" in it.

Since there are other Gentoo-based distros, I would say the word
"gentoo" should be in there.

Plain "gentoo" may work.  I would be happy with any of
"gentoo-"{core,main,master} as well, if plain "gentoo" causes trouble
for a name in some context.

> 1. We have some namespaces in Git: proj, dev, priv, data, sites,
> exp; should the tree be in one of those namespaces, a new
> namespace, or be without a namespace?
> git://anongit.gentoo.org/NEW-NAME.git.

Not in any of those namespace, please.

If in any, make it "repos" or "repositories", please.

Thanks for your consideration.

Best,

Sebastian