Hi!

For the current Gentoo Git setup I found these methods working for
accessing a repository, betagarden in this case:

  git://anongit.gentoo.org/proj/betagarden.git
 (git://git.gentoo.org/proj/betagarden.git)
 (git://git.overlays.gentoo.org/proj/betagarden.git)

  http://anongit.gentoo.org/git/proj/betagarden.git

 (http://cgit.gentooexperimental.org/proj/betagarden.git)

  git+ssh://g...@git.gentoo.org/proj/betagarden.git
 (git+ssh://g...@git.overlays.gentoo.org/proj/betagarden.git)

Those without braces are the ones announced at the repository's page [1].

My concerns about the current set of supported ways of transfer are:

 * There does not seem to be support for https://.  Please add it.

 * Why do we serve Git over git:// and http:// if those are vulnerable
   to man-in-the-middle attacks (before having waterproof GPG
   protection for whole repositories in place)?
   Especially with ebuilds run by root, we cannot afford MITM.

So I would like to propose that

 * support for Git access through https:// is activated,

 * Git access through http:// and git:// is deactivated, and

 * the URLs on gitweb.gentoo.org and the Layman registry are
   updated accordingly.  (Happy to help with the latter.)

Thanks for your consideration.

Best,

Sebastian

[1] https://gitweb.gentoo.org/proj/betagarden.git/