> On 04/28/15 17:52, Mike Gilbert wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 4:07 PM, Anthony G. Basile <bluen...@gentoo.org>
>> wrote:

>>> installed.
>>> The c++11 abi emitted by gcc-4.7 and 4.8 are different and since you link
>>> against the latest version (see the ordering of directories in
>>> /etc/ld.so.conf.d/05gcc-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu.conf), building with the
>>> earlier
>>> gcc can cause breakage.  We may not want to support such a situation but
>>> I'd
>>> like to.
>>>
>> As I understand it, a given version of gcc links objects against its
>> own version of libstdc++, but the "latest" version of libstdc++ is
>> loaded by ld.so at runtime.
>>
>> Maybe that's what you meant, but I wanted to clarify that. And if I am
>> wrong on that, please correct me. ^_^
>>

> Yes.  So you could, for example, fix this by setting the correct rpath at
> link time so the correct library gets loaded at runtime.

I fear this discussion is going in a slightly wrong direction. I'm not
going to make any global Gentoo changes, I just need to add support for
C++14 mode in a bunch of packages I maintain, and for that, I need to
decide on a place to store USE descriptions. If I won't get good options,
I'll just go and add this description to every of ~70 metadata's.
Please consider the patch I'm going to apply to our eclass:

 https://bpaste.net/show/39ec6f4760f4

This is intended as an experimental feature, not as a globally supported
configuration for every package in Gentoo. This is needed because already
now LeechCraft has some functionality that is implemented in C++14 and
won't be available otherwise.

Please give your opinion on where to put this USE desc, that's all I want :)