On Sat, Jul 04, 2015 at 12:19:41AM +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
> As I see from git docs only commits and tags may be signed. There
> is no way to sign a push. Moreover there is no need to sign each
> commit, see what Linux says on that:
> http://git.661346.n2.nabble.com/GPG-signing-for-git-commit-td2582986.html
That was Linus's 2009 opinion, and he changed his mind since then, with
the research into further attacks on SHA1.

Git (since 2.2) DOES support signed push. Look at the manpage for
git-push, for the --signed option:
http://git-scm.com/docs/git-push

The point of signed commits is to authenticate the creator of each
commit.

The point of signed pushes is to authenticate who introduced a commit
(it might NOT be the person who signed the commits) and intended it to
be on a specific branch.

A slightly out of date, but good backgrounder on signed commits is here:
http://mikegerwitz.com/papers/git-horror-story

The StackOverflow asking about signed push is a good reference as well:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27299355/why-does-git-need-signed-pushes

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux: Developer, Infrastructure Lead