On 20 July 2015 at 01:01, Anthony G. Basile <bluen...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 7/19/15 12:42 PM, Ben de Groot wrote:
>>
>> On 20 July 2015 at 00:03, Mike Gilbert <flop...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> If there are no objections, I would like to enable python3.4 by
>>> default on Saturday, July 25. That means making the following change:
>>>
>>> profiles/base/make.defaults:
>>> PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_4"
>>
>> I would like to note that we only have around 50 packages that require
>> python3, while the majority requires python2, and the remainder will
>> function with either. For this reason it seems to make more sense to
>> me to only set PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" as default, and leave adding
>> any python3_* targets to the user. This will also debloat our stage3
>> tarballs.
>>
> What are those 50 packages, if you have the list handy?  Its not the number
> but their impact.

It's actually 74 packages at current, if my quick and dirty grepping is correct:

% qgrep -H PYTHON_COMPAT | grep -v python2 | grep -v 'python{2' | cut
-f1 -d : | cut -f 1,2 -d / | uniq
app-accessibility/accerciser
app-accessibility/orca
app-accessibility/speech-dispatcher
app-admin/cdist
app-arch/tardelta
app-arch/vimball
app-backup/backintime
app-editors/gedit
app-editors/gedit-plugins
app-editors/retext
app-emulation/lxc
app-i18n/ibus-cangjie
app-misc/media-player-info
app-portage/grs
app-text/nfoview
dev-libs/libgit2-glib
dev-libs/libixion
dev-python/aiohttp
dev-python/asyncio
dev-python/beautifulsoup
dev-python/cangjie
dev-python/cfgio
dev-python/dugong
dev-python/elasticsearch-py
dev-python/mypy
dev-python/pmw
dev-python/polygon
dev-python/pydns
dev-python/pyfltk
dev-python/pymtp
dev-python/python3-openid
dev-python/pythondialog
dev-python/pyx
dev-python/simpletal
dev-python/torment
dev-python/utmp
dev-util/cligh
dev-util/devhelp
dev-util/fatrace
dev-vcs/gitg
games-util/nml
gnome-base/gnome-shell
gnome-extra/gnome-builder
media-gfx/blender
media-gfx/eog-plugins
media-sound/gnome-music
media-sound/lyvi
media-sound/pithos
media-sound/rhythmbox
media-video/gaupol
media-video/pitivi
net-analyzer/pypacker
net-irc/znc
net-misc/gns3-converter
net-misc/gns3-gui
net-misc/gns3-server
net-misc/wget
net-news/canto-curses
net-news/canto-daemon
sci-electronics/pulseview
sci-electronics/sigrok-cli
sci-libs/libsigrokdecode
sys-apps/razercfg
sys-block/blocks
sys-fs/s3ql
sys-kernel/kergen
sys-process/systemd-cron
www-client/pybugz
www-client/qutebrowser
x11-apps/intel-gpu-tools
x11-misc/compton
x11-misc/dex
x11-misc/redshift
x11-misc/treeline

I have removed portage and python-exec as false positives from this
grep. Then there is net-misc/wget which only needs python if USE=test
is enabled. There may be a few more like that.

I don't see anything else that is immediately important.
--
Cheers,

Ben | yngwin
Gentoo developer