On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 05:11:20PM -0400, Mike Gilbert wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 11:57 AM, William Hubbs <willi...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I'm finding in working on Go ebuilds, that we are propegating a
> > src_unpack function that is very similar to the one in vcs-snapshot.
> >
> > This patch adds an EXTRACT_PATH variable to the vcs-snapshot eclass
> > which, if set, puts the extracted archives in the specified directory under
> > ${S}.
> >
> > If it is not set, nothing should happen.
> >
> > This could be used by other types of ebuilds later, but for now it would
> > be used by Go ebuilds.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> Can you provide an example of an ebuild in the tree for which this
> would be useful?

Sure,

Take a look at dev-go/go-snappy and most of the dev-go ebuilds.

They use a src_unpack function for the non-live side that is almost
exactly like vcs-snapshot except for the extraction location.

> I'm unclear as to why tarballs are being unpacked in sub-directories of ${S}.

For Go software that just uses the Go tools to build, it is easiest to
work with if you treat ${S} as a Go Workspace [1].

I could write my own golang-vcs-snapshot.eclass that does this, but I
thought it would be easier to leverage code that is already in the tree.

William

[1] https://golang.org/doc/code.html#Workspaces