On 11/08/15 06:10 AM, Sergey Popov wrote:
> Err, i have read the whole thread and still does not get a point,
> why i am wrong.
>
> It's old battle like we have beforce with "gtk" meaning "any
> versions of GTK flag". This behaviour should be killed with fire.
>
> Let's me reiterate some of the cases:
>
> 1. Package can be build without Qt GUI at all, but either Qt4 or
> Qt5 can be chosen, but not both.
>
> Fix this with REQUIRED_USE, do not enable any of Qt flags by
> default

Why does this need REQUIRED_USE at all?  neither flag is necessary,
and just because the package only uses one flag at a time doesn't mean
we should require users that have both flags set in profiles to -have
to- package.use one of them off.

> 2. Package can not be build without Qt GUI - either Qt4 or Qt5 is
> required, but not both
>
> Same thing here, different REQUIRED_USE operator. But - enable one
> of the flags by default to ease life of users.

IUSE="qt4 +qt5" and USE="qt4 -qt5" globally (ie from profiles) is
going to make a REQUIRED_USE force an exception in package.use as
well.  Again, annoying to end-users for no overly good reason and see #1
.

> 3. Package can be build with Qt4 or Qt5 or both AT THE SAME TIME(if
> such package even exists?)
>
> Do not use REQUIRED_USE here, not needed.
>
> Now, please tell me, where am i wrong?

IMO it's wrong because REQUIRED_USE is a BFH for what really ends up
as an extra, dangling enabled use flag.  Unless there's a case (and i
truely doubt there is) that there's a package with IUSE="qt4" that
depends on ANOTHER package with IUSE="qt4 qt5", and that other package
only builds against one implementation, AND the dep on the first
package doesn't include any use deps, I still see no actual -need- for
REQUIRED_USE.