On 09/10/2015 02:25 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 8:13 AM, hasufell <hasuf...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> On 09/10/2015 02:03 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
>>>
>>> Suppose you want to run on a non-embedded system with limited RAM and the
>>> ability to choose means you can use one of the two libraries
>>> exclusively, thus eliminating the need to load the other library?
>>> Being able to control what libraries are in use is a key feature of
>>> Gentoo, IMO.
>>>

>> Any reference that gtk3 has a higher memory footprint?
>>

> gtk2+gtk3 in RAM at the same time has a higher memory footprint than
> either one alone.  If any package uses one or the other, it will end
> up being loaded into RAM, so there is potentially value in using one
> of them exclusively.

So you are saying for the unlikely case that someone runs gentoo on a
desktop system where he cannot even compile gcc, llvm and others without
waiting for 2 weeks or setting up his on binhost, we have to provide a
backup-path for him, so that gtk3 is not loaded into his RAM?

Do you know what that means if you want to _actually_ (not just
theoretically) support that? You have to do that consistently, not just
for a few packages.

So this makes no sense, since it's already an unsupported corner case.

> I'm not suggesting that package maintainers should be forced to
> support both whenever possible.  I just don't think they should be
> discouraged from doing so.

Yes, they should be discouraged. It's a QA matter.