On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 1:38 PM, Daniel Campbell <z...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Honestly, this situation looks like a perfect candidate for slotting
> instead of adding a new feature. If SLOT is setup correctly between
> ebuilds, you could check to be sure it's a specific SLOT. So in your
> case, pkg-1.0.2[a-z] would be slotted with e.g. pkg-1.0.2g:1.0.2.
> Anything depending on it would use `pkg:1.0.2`, and the pkg-1.0.3a
> ebuild could use SLOT="1.0.3" and be called as a dependency via
> `pkg:1.0.3`.
Slotting means isolation (most of the time as a group and not necessarily on a
parent version), but that's not always the case when you're just
wanting to target
a specific version.  With the operator we could avoid unnecessary
overkill using slots.

Also that would only apply when you're creating an ebuild.